Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: [MISC] World Cup Talks

Re:[MISC] World Cup Talks 13 years 9 months ago #18274

• nu2me
  • Friends of PSH
  • Thank you received: 44352
This year seems to have lots of unexpected wins,
lots of disappointments.

might as well be a jubilant unheard of WIN !!!! that will be awesome, like at the last minutes, a surprise goal to offset an almost win but not !!! I'm getting weird :lol:

actually, am nervous on who's gonna make it tomorrow ;)
hopefully I could make time to watch. :P
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:[MISC] World Cup Talks 13 years 9 months ago #18280

• anacriativa
  • Junior Star
  • Thank you received: 90
I also think what the world cup final will be between Holland and Spain .
I'm really rooting for that to happen, it will be a first final among teams that never won a world cup.

Since Brazil is out, I'm rooting for teams that do not have titles
This final would be perfect!

But ... that spain will get over to germany in the semi finals?
I hope so and they have team for this... ;)

Re:[MISC] World Cup Talks 13 years 9 months ago #18352

• pj0t
  • Friends of PSH
  • Thank you received: 515
The first half between GER and ESP tie with 0-0.
Thanks to Puyol, he scored the one, the only and the winning goal for Espanyol at 73'

FINAL

Holland vs Spain

Octopus' prediction has been right (I bet many Germany fans really want to kill him hehe)
and 2010 WC will have a new champion!

Re:[MISC] World Cup Talks 13 years 9 months ago #18353

• nu2me
  • Friends of PSH
I'm so happy Spain WON !!!! Fantastic finish by the Spaniards
either way I have a winner :lol:

*click photo to enlarge*

I missed out watching the actual games, we have to leave work temps soaring to 100 degrees, too unbearable to stay put. power went down, generators not enough.

I have to wait for the highlights :(

Highlights of Germany 0:1 Spain game -
www.fifa.com/worldcup/highlights/video/video=1270253/index.html
WOW ! :whistle:
Last Edit: 13 years 9 months ago by nu2me.

Re:[MISC] World Cup Talks 13 years 9 months ago #18377

• betsy
  • Live.Love.Laugh
  • Thank you received: 1654
hUrraY!!!!!!! :woohoo:

Spain wOn!!!!!

Puyol is the man!!! :lol:

but i still love Villa... :silly:

go go Espanya!

\"I help you because (I love you) you are my butler, and a master should provide his/her butler\'s needs\"--Nagi

Re:[MISC] World Cup Talks 13 years 9 months ago #18391

• gailnav
  • Platinum Star
  • One For All, All For One.
  • Thank you received: 4777
Move over, Messi: Xavi’s the best
By:Martin Rogers

Credits: Martin Rogers@ Yahoo Sports

xavi.gif

Xavi Hernandez is one of the main reasons Spain finds itself in the World Cup final.

Follow Martin Rogers on Twitter at @mrogersyahoo

DURBAN, South Africa – Perhaps it’s just as well that Lionel Messi has gone back to Argentina already. That way he doesn’t have to watch his status as the world’s best player get ripped away by one of his closest friends.

Non-soccer fans probably haven’t heard of Xavi Hernandez. The Spain midfielder doesn’t lead a celebrity lifestyle or follow the underwear-modeling path of soccer superstars Cristiano Ronaldo or David Beckham.

He won’t be the most high-profile player in Sunday’s World Cup final against the Netherlands after helping Spain sink Germany in Wednesday’s 1-0 semifinal victory. He won’t even be the most famous player on his own team.
More World Cup Stories

* Blame for French collapse put on coach
* English star voted ugliest player in world

More From Martin Rogers

* Charter jets cause airport chaos jul 7, 2010
* German coach: Spain will win final jul 7, 2010

And yet, the man simply known as Xavi is the finest soccer player on the planet right now and the most accomplished performer at this World Cup. Ahead of Messi. Ahead of Ronaldo. Even ahead of his Spain teammate David Villa, who has scored five goals to Xavi’s none in South Africa.

Xavi and Messi are club teammates at Barcelona in the Spanish league, and it’s the little Argentinean who is routinely afforded the lion’s share of attention. Messi’s tricks, flicks and lightning feet grasp the focus of fans and opposition alike.

But at this tournament, Xavi has raised his game to another level while still showing all of the facets that have made him Europe’s most productive midfielder over the past few seasons.

With Messi, and especially Ronaldo, the brilliance is there. It’s right in your face, and you can’t miss it, not with the jukes and turns and permanent reminders of their soccer artistry.

With Xavi, you have to look more closely.

He enjoys a bit of fleet-footed trickery too, but only when it serves a purpose. Much of what he does is simple. All of it is ruthlessly effective and beautiful in its own way.

Like with the corner kick from the left that produced the only goal of a cagey semifinal. Some players hit and hope or aim for an area. Xavi drops it in on a dime. Or, on this occasion, the advancing head of Carles Puyol.

Then there was the move Xavi pulled off late in the second half when he leaped into the air and redirected a firmly struck ball through his own legs with his instep. An untrained onlooker could be forgiven for thinking he had started showboating, especially with his team a goal ahead. At least until they noticed that he had sent the ball straight into the path of Villa, who should have gone on to score.

Award-winning British soccer writer Ian Chadband called Xavi the “most under-appreciated genius in world sport” this week. But maybe, just maybe, the world is starting to catch on.

Xavi was given the man-of-the-match award on Wednesday night, an honor voted by fans around the world. Such awards have sometimes been unpredictable – Ronaldo won a couple of times during the tournament, even when he was far from the best player on the field.

The fact that Xavi was given the award, despite not scoring or doing anything flashy, could mean he is starting to become appreciated at last. The fans are starting to get his genius.

Germany certainly knows all about him now, after his midfield endeavors ruined its hopes of reaching the final.

“Xavi is the center of Spain’s perfect spine,” said German coach Joachim Loew in the lead-up to the semifinal, while reflecting that it had been Xavi whose pass had set up Spain’s victory in the 2008 European Championship final.

It was a spine that Germany could not break. It is a spine that facilitates Spain’s pretty face. And a spine that looks strong enough to support the World Cup trophy in a few days’ time.
Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Last Edit: 13 years 9 months ago by gailnav.

Re:[MISC] World Cup Talks 13 years 9 months ago #18398

• nu2me
  • Friends of PSH
WOW, amazing feats for Xavi, thanks so much for the inside newsbits, Gailnav. He is the man to watch for. I can't wait for the final match !

Here we go !!!
Match for third place:
Uruguay vs. Germany - Jul 10 2:30pm (ET) on ABC

Final match:
Netherlands vs. Spain - Jul 11 2:30pm (ET) on ABC

source: FIFA.com - schedule - US overview.

I'll root for Germany and for the finals, of course Spain !! :whistle: *altho I like Netherlands too* ;)
May the best teams win !!!!

Re:[MISC] World Cup Talks 13 years 9 months ago #18429

• anacriativa
  • Junior Star
  • Thank you received: 90
Cool! Holland x Spain in the finals of the World Cup! Finally there will be an unprecedented champion!

I'm will wait the forecasts of German octopus .. haha

And I will cheer for Spain! ;)

Re:[MISC] World Cup Talks 13 years 9 months ago #18450

• pj0t
  • Friends of PSH
  • Thank you received: 515
Brasil 2014 already has official logo!

I'm coming!!!!

For 3rd placing, Germany!!!
I'm torn between Holland and Spain. I love both. Will cheer for the cuties on the field then. Hehehe :D

Re:[MISC] World Cup Talks 13 years 9 months ago #18547

• nu2me
  • Friends of PSH
3rd place games is exciting !
Uruguay 1:1 Germany so far

Germany's Muller

Uruguay's Cavali

Half time !
Uruguay's Forlan

Germany's Jansen

Germany's Khedira

final score - Uruguay 2:3 Germany
EXCELLENT game played by both teams !!! :whistle:
Last Edit: 13 years 9 months ago by nu2me.
Time to create page: 1.536 seconds