Username: Password: Remember me
For 20+ members only - AGE RESTRICTION STRONGLY ENFORCED

TOPIC: Women Empowerment!!

Women Empowerment!! 12 years 9 months ago #54385

• July
  • Senior Star
  • Thank you received: 94
Women’s Empowerment

Of the 1.3 billion people who live in absolute poverty around the globe, 70 percent are women. For these women, poverty doesn’t just mean scarcity and want. It means rights denied, opportunities curtailed and voices silenced.

Consider the following:

• Women work two-thirds of the world’s working hours, according to the United Nations Millennium Campaign to halve world poverty by the year 2015. The overwhelming majority of the labor that sustains life – growing food, cooking, raising children, caring for the elderly, maintaining a house, hauling water – is done by women, and universally this work is accorded low status and no pay. The ceaseless cycle of labor rarely shows up in economic analyses of a society’s production and value.

• Women earn only 10 percent of the world’s income. Where women work for money, they may be limited to a set of jobs deemed suitable for women – invariably low-pay, low-status positions.

• Women own less than 1 percent of the world’s property. Where laws or customs prevent women from owning land or other productive assets, from getting loans or credit, or from having the right to inheritance or to own their home, they have no assets to leverage for economic stability and cannot invest in their own or their children’s futures.

• Women make up two-thirds of the estimated 876 million adults worldwide who cannot read or write; and girls make up 60 percent of the 77 million children not attending primary school. Education is among the most important drivers of human development: women who are educated have fewer children than those who are denied schooling (some studies correlate each additional year of education with a 10 percent drop in fertility). They delay their first pregnancies, have healthier children (each additional year of schooling a woman has is associated with a 5 to 10 percent decline in child deaths, according to the United Nations Population Fund) 2and are far more likely to send their own children to school. Yet
where women do not have the discretionary income to invest in their own or their children’s education, where girls’ education is considered frivolous, and where girls are relied on to contribute labor
to the household, they miss this unparalleled opportunity to develop their minds and spirits. Their countries suffer too: the World Bank estimates that nations in South Asia and Africa lose .5 to 1 percent
growth in per-capita income per year compared to similar countries where children have greater access to quality, basic education.

In many societies around the world, women never belong wholly to themselves; they are the property of others throughout their lives. Their physical well-being – health, security and bodily integrity – is often beyond their own control. Where women have no control over money, they cannot choose to get health care for themselves or their children. Where having a large number of children confers status on both men and women – indeed, where childbearing may be the only marker of value available to women – frequent pregnancy and labor can be deadly. World Health Organization data indicates that in Afghanistan and Sierra Leone, for example, a woman’s lifetime chance of dying in childbirth is one in seven; in the United States it is one in 3,418, and in Norway and Switzerland, one in 7,300. In any given year, 15 percent of all pregnant women will face a life-threatening complication, and more than 500,000 – 99 percent of them in the developing world – will die. Some 130 million girls and women, mostly in sub-Saharan Africa, have been subjected to genital cutting at the behest of their parents, and 2 million more face the blade every year, according to the United Nations Population Fund.

Around the globe, home and community are not safe havens for a billion girls and women: At least one in three females on earth has been physically or sexually abused, often repeatedly and often by a relative or acquaintance. By the World Bank’s estimate, violence rivals cancer as a cause of morbidity and mortality for women of childbearing age. Even within marriage, women may not be able to negotiate when and what type of sex to have, nor to protest their husbands’ multiple sex partners. Poverty and exclusion push some girls and women to engage in sex work, almost always the desperate, last choice of people without other choices. Further, the U.S. Department of State indicates that up to 800,000 people are trafficked across international borders annually: 80 percent of these are women and girls, and the majority are forced into the sex trade. And in the midst of conflict and natural disaster in countries around the world, women’s risk of violence skyrockets. Systematic rape as a weapon of war has left millions of girls and women traumatized, forcibly impregnated, and/or HIV positive. These factors combined explain why today more women than men around the world are HIV positive. In sub-Saharan Africa, more than twice as many young women as young men are living with HIV, according to the International Labor Organization.

It is sad, that even today, in a highly technical generation, and in some country, woman are still mal-treated and only considered as "making babies" as their prime responsibility. Iam a woman and i sympathies with my whole heart how other women are unjustly treated. Many of them ends up in sex slave!! how pitiful!!

I just share this to be aware how big this problem is, and how in some part of the world how they treats women badly.
Last Edit: 12 years 9 months ago by July.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: elankham, Lina507, twotaur, Laurabianca, paire

Re: Women Empowerment!! 12 years 9 months ago #54423

• Laurabianca
  • above D cloud w/its shadow, is D star w/its light
  • Thank you received: 2529
July,

thanks for sharing this ,:lol:
it is an eye-opener , and I agree no matter how advance the technologies now, in some cases women are still not been
given equal share, or equal rights to the same as men . In fact in some countries Women are still fighting for their
recognition, which is really-really sad.

I also agree to what you said this site is overflowing with love , :lol: :lol: not only that we get not only a chance to talk with our
favorite korean artist but to learn many things as well, just like what you've shared to us .

I'm proud to say that this is the core of this community , and it is not only the staff who influence it , but all the intelligent and sweet members like you as well .

thank you! ;)
Friends are the family we choose for ourselves.
And the Flowers in life's garden.
Tend your garden with tender love and care...
Plant Kindness and harvest Love.

"ALL IS WELL" :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: elankham, paire

Re: Women Empowerment!! 12 years 9 months ago #54514

• July
  • Senior Star
  • Thank you received: 94
thank you Laura i'm getting shy now:shy:

Let me share my experienced, one time while im visiting other country ( not gonna mention the name of that country ) my guy friend invited me to go somewhere, since i'm new from this place, i just let him lead the way ( although i have a slight idea ) He brought me to this club, i never knew it was a prostitution den because the place looks really elegant. When he told me what is it, i got the shock of my life, and started to look at it in a different eye. I noticed that the girls there are still young 14, 15, 16 (few years older than my daugther) and the shocking was when i talked to them, they say they have no regrets, they are willing to do it because its the only thing they know. They don't have education or money to back them leaving them no choice but to do it.

I for one disagree with it, but what can i do? i promise myself that after i let my daughter graduate from their school i will devote my time in helping others, humanitarian thing, so that i can be more useful as a person.
The following user(s) said Thank You: elankham, Laurabianca

Moderators: Mandy
Time to create page: 0.741 seconds